The "Brothers of Mount Carmel" were called the "Brothers of Mary". The outward sign Carmelites wear is the scapular, a sign of special devotion to and protection of Our Mother, Mary.
Mary teaches us by example of her life to become humble, filled with faith, detached and willing to suffer, if needed. She shows us how to allow God to be God in our lives.
Requirements of Members
- Daily commitment to 1/2 hour of mental prayer.
- Attendance at Community Meetings. (We meet monthly from 9 - 1:30, usually on the third Saturday of the month.)
- Morning and Evening Prayers of the Liturgy of the Hours. Try to say Night Prayer whenever possible. (Recommend: Christian Prayer, one volume (ed. #406) with Guide for Christian Prayer (#406-G) for community use.
- Daily Mass, whenever possible.
- Regular reception of the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
- Daily Devotion to Mary
- Participate in the apostolate of the Community.
- Eligibility for Membership
- Minimal age of 18 years
- Practicing Catholic
- Provide Baptismal, Confirmation certificates
- Marriage certificate, if married
- Release from any other promises or vows, if needed
- Write a letter of intention: "I want to become a Secular Carmelite because..."
For further information, please contact: